Thursday 27 October 2011

Family heirloom clock


A 1940's german mantle clock.
My dad gave this to me recently. It was completely black inside, dust, cobwebs, the lot. I have given it a proper service. I took my time examining the pivot holes, side-shake, escapement, etc. It has polished up lovely apart from the barrels as I have not checked the springs yet. But I will. It is now (as you see) on test, out of its case.
It is quite a good little movement. The anchor is the solid polished type. Everything on it works good and uncomplicated.
I have oiled it correctly and synchronised the chiming side correctly.
Theres still a little hiccup with the strike... maybe its not warning right. But its too late in the day now to investigate.

1 comment:

  1. Well for some reason I cannot fathom the strike flirt was not lifting the rack hook high enough to clear the rack. Nothing looks bent or lost or modified...
    So I have had to do a small, reversible modification myself. I have glued a tiny taper pin to the underside of the rack hook. It now works perfect.

    ReplyDelete